As an alternative to using the dropimage option you can also set up your product to display individual color swatches.
What’s the difference?
With the dropimage option, your product can display color swatches for the product that would display as the option is selected. Like this:
Whereas with the method described here, the swatches all appear on the page at the same time allowing the shopper to make their selection by way of a radio button. Like this:
The process is similar to setting up the dropimage function in the fact that you will be assigning images to the option sets. However, instead of “dropimage,” you will select “radio” from the option selection.
- Log into your 3dcart Online Store Manager
- Using the left hand navigation menu, go to Products ->Product List
- Find the product that you’d like to edit and click on its name
(You can also look to the far right of the item and click on its “Action ->Edit” button)
- Click on the Options Tab located along the top of the product information pages
- Then click the “+Add New” button located towards the top right
- Type in the Option label’s name. For example, “Available Colors”
- Type in the Sorting number – this is used to control how your options display if you have more than one for the same product.
Lower numbers will display before higher numbers.
- Using the “Type” drop down menu, select the one labeled “Radio”
- Check the Required checkbox if you would like this option to be selected in order for the product to be added to the shopping cart.
- Click the “Add” button to add the Option Label
Next, we’ll create the Option Sets
Once you’ve added the Option Label, you will see it listed in the Options Tab. Now, we’ll go over the steps involved in setting up the individual option sets – in other words, the actual selections – for that option.
Look to the far right of the option listing and you will see three links to add option sets, delete the option altogether or edit it further.
- Click on the “Add [option name]” link to proceed
[option name] will reflect whatever you named the option label.
- Enter a description for the individual Option such as the name of the color that will be selected
- Type in the sorting number for the option. The higher the number, the farther along the list it will display
- Enter a Part Number for the option
If you have a part number written for the product in its information tab, the option part number described here will be appeneded to it
- If the option incurs any additional cost, enter that amount in the “Value” field.
- Click Add to complete the set up for the option set
- Repeat for all of the remaining selections on the Option
The final step in our process is to assign the images to the option sets that will display when those options are selected.
After creating the option sets, they will be listed under the label created earlier. Within the set listings you will see a column labeled “Opt” and a link for each set labeled “Select.” This link will open up the store’s file manager so you can browse for and select the image(s) that will be used for the drop image.
- Click the Select link in the Opt. column for each set
- Using the file manager, click Select for the image you would like to display next to the option.
If the image is not already uploaded to the File Manager, click Upload Files, then browse for the file on your computer
- Repeat for each option set
While you are setting up your option sets, you will see these configurable settings as well:
The option’s name
Makes the option pre-selected on the product listing page.
Hides the option form the listing page.
Adds an additional amount when the option is selected.
- Part #
The part number for the individual option if needed.
- Display Order
The sorting number for the option’s display.
- Custom Item
Used if the option is for a Product Bundle where an additional item is added to the order when the option is selected.
These settings are available with any option type (not just DropImage). For more complete information on setting up Product Options in general, please click here.
- After setting up your Radio image options, click “Save” at the top right to commit your changes