Google Analytics tells you everything you want to know about how your visitors found you and how they interact with your site. You’ll be able to focus your marketing resources on campaigns and initiatives that deliver ROI, and improve your site to convert more visitors.
Apart from keeping track of all traffic from other search engines, Google Analytics can also help you track your return on investment of your Google Adwords campaigns.
Integrating your store with Google Analytics is easy and this article will show you how.
This particular integration with Google Analytics is not compatible with Google’s “Enhanced Ecommerce Reporting” functionality. Please make sure this feature is turned off on your Google Analytics account. [/tcbd-alert]
Retrieving your Google Analytics Property ID
The first step in the integration process is to have a Google Analytics account. Once you create and set up an account with Google’s Analytic service, you will be issued a “Property ID” which will be needed for your 3dcart store. To retrieve your Google Analytics Property ID, follow these steps:
- Log into your Google Analytics Account
- Click on the “All Accounts” link located towards the top left of the Google Analytics interface.
- Select your store site’s profile
- To the right of the profile’s listing, you will see a number
This is your Google Analytics Property ID. Copy/Save this number to your clipboard for the rest of the integration
Adding the Property ID to your 3dcart Store
The next step will be to add the Property ID number to your 3dcart store. To begin this next process, follow these steps:
- Log into your 3dcart Online Store Manager
- Go to Marketing ->SEO Tools
- Look for the “Google Analytics” section on the right and click on its + Icon to expand the selection
- Add your tracking ID in the provided field (and, if using universal analytics, mark the provided checkbox.)
- Click “Save Changes” and you’re all set!
If you are also using Google Webmaster Tools, you can also add your verification meta tag in to the other supplied field
Behind the Scenes
Google Analytics is made up of two specific codes (provided by Google) which track your site’s analytical information. One code is known as the “Tracking Code” and it is meant to be placed on every page of your site. The second code is is known as the “Conversion Tracking Code” and it’s job is to track the sales placed on your store. This second code is meant to be added to your checkout pages.
By following the above steps to integrate your 3dcart store with Google Analytics, 3dcart will automatically add the required coding to your site (along with your Property ID code) to the appropriate pages and Google Analytics will be able to track the site’s activity from that moment on.