You can easily use your store’s existing export function to create a CSV file of your customer records and upload it to your Constant Contact account.
If you do not have a Constant Contact account, please first sign up with their service before proceeding with the following.
Generating your Customer Record CSV File.
From your 3dcart Online Store Manager:
- Go to Customers ->Customer List
- Once there, look to the top right of the page and click on the “Export/Import” button.
- On the left hand side of the Export/Import page, click on the +Icon for “Customers”
- Followed by the “Export Data” link.
You can also use the export interface to download your customer records by specific groups or alphabetical sections. (A-H, I-Q, R-Z)
- Save the file to your desktop
Editing the CSV File
The customer record CSV contains a large amount of customer information that Constant Contact will not utilize. Therefore, your next step will be to edit the CSV file to remove these unneccessary columns.
The Customer Record export contains a very important column titled “mailist” which denotes whether the customer has subscribed to your mailing list or not. This column will contain either a 1 or a 0 for the individual customer records.
- If the column contains a 1, it means the customer has subscribed.
- However if the column contains a 0 the customer has either not requested a subscription or has unsubscribed.
Before proceeding with any of the following edits, please be sure to remove all unsubscribed customers before uploading your CSV file to Constant Contact. Again, these will be the ones listed with a 0.
- Open the CSV file in a spreadsheet program like Microsoft Excel
- Edit the file to remove all of the columns except for the following:
Constant Contact will use this as their First Name field.
Constant Contact will use this as their Last Name field.
Constant Contact will use this as their Email field.
Constant Contact will allow you to import additional fields as well like the Company Name (billing_company), Phone Number (billing_phone) and Street Address (billing_address) fields. It’s entirely up to you which fields you import, but your file must include at least the First Name, Last Name and Email address fields.
- Save your CSV file after making your changes
Your advanced CSV file is now ready to import to Constant Contact. During the import process on your Constant Contact account, you will match these fields with their respective equivalents on Constant Contact.
Uploading the CSV file to Constant Contact
You will now upload your CSV file to Constant Contact. During the upload process, you will be prompted to match your CSV columns with their Constant Contact field names.
- Log into your Constant Contact account
- Click on the “Contacts”
- Click on the “Create New” button and enter a name for your new mailing list.
- Click on the “Join my Mailing List Form” followed by Save.
- Now click “Add Contact”
- In your Lists section, check the name of the list you just created and click “Next”
- Mark the “Import Contacts From a File” checkbox and click Next.
- Browse to your saved CSV file and click “Next.”
- Mark the four confirmation checkboxes and click “Next.”
- You will now see a listing of your imported data fields and options to select an applicable label for each.
- After you’ve completed the above step, click on “Start Import”
Your import will then begin.
Depending on the size of your CSV file, the import may vary in the amount of time it takes to complete.