To begin creating your email addresses @yourdomain you will need to access your 3dcart mail service. The Welcome Email that you received when you first opened your account contains the login information for accessing your email interface. You can also review our email setup documentation found here.
You can send and receive mail through your email account by using the web interface provided for you, or you can use an email client such as Microsoft Outlook, Outlook Express, or Thunderbird.
If you choose to use an email client, you will need to configure it so that it knows what SMTP servers to use for sending messages and which POP servers to use for receiving them. Generally, the incoming and outgoing mail servers will be mail.[yourdomain].com.
If email can be received through an email client, but not sent, your specific Internet Service Provider may be blocking the outgoing mail server. ISPs do this to prevent spam on their network. When this happens you will need to use the mail server that they provide you instead of your own. The mail server is generally smtp.yourISPname.com, however, it could be different so please contact your ISP to get the details.
If you do not want to use your ISPs server for SMTP, and the ISP is blocking port 25, you can switch the port to 587 for your outgoing mail and use mail.yourdomain.com for the SMTP server name.
When creating your email addresses, you will have the option of creating them as either email accounts or aliases.
- Email Account: An email account is an actual mailbox with its own user name and password.Whether you’re accessing mail via the web interface or through an email client, you will need to use the login information to access these types of email accounts.
- Alias: An email alias is not an email address that forwards messages to one or more email addresses. Even though an alias acts as an email address, users cannot login to an alias like they do a standard email address since no email is ever actually stored for the alias. Emails are just forwarded to the list of addresses provided for the alias.
For the purposes of this article, we will discuss Email Accounts.
As mentioned, an email an email address @yourdomain. However, unlike Email Aliases, an Email user account typically requires a user name@domain followed by a password for login. For all intents and purposes, an email user is its own mailbox account on your domain.
To create an Email User address:
- Click on the Settings button.
- Expand the Domain Settings section in the left menu and click on Users
- Click on New to setup a new user for the email account.
- Type in the new Username and password for this new user.
The username will determine the actual email address by making it firstname.lastname@example.org You do not need to specify your domain name in the Username field.
- Modify the mailbox size limit to your needs – there is a limit of 500 MB per domain.
- Click Save.
- Repeat this process for as many users as you want on this email account.
Your email account will not work until the Domain is live (i.e. You have pointed the name servers of your domain to 3dCart.)
Your Email Account is set up. Add as many as you’d like.