If any or all of your products are shipped directly from the distributor to your customers, then you can use your 3dcart store as a “drop shipping” cart. This allows you to have the orders come into your store while automatic email notifications are sent to your distributors containing the specifics of the order (distributor items, quantities, address, etc). Your distributor then sends the product out to the customer as needed.
3dcart’s drop shipper features also allows you to use the distributor’s address as the origin address for the shipping calculations. Therfore, at checkout the items will be grouped by distributor in order to correctly calculate the shipping rates for the total weight of the order from the distributor’s address to the customer’s address.
Setting up the Distributors
To add the distributors list
- Log into your 3dcart Online Store Manager
- Select Settings ->General ->Distributors
- Click on the “+Add” button at the top right of the page
- Specify a name for the distributor and click on its “+Add” button to create it.
- Next, enter the distributor’s contact information including their shipping point of origin and contact email addresses
Use commas [no spaces] if you need to enter more than one email address. For example: “firstname.lastname@example.org,email@example.com”
- Check the “Is Dropshipper” checkbox to have shipping calculated based on the distributor’s address.
- Check “Notify on New Order” checkbox to send the automated email to the distributor when a new order is received.
- Check “Notify on Cancelled Order” checkbox to send cancellation notices to the distributor when an order is cancelled.
When checking these last two checkboxes, the interface will expand to allow you to customize the email that is sent to the distributor. This is to be used if you wish to provide a personalized or specific message to the distributor.
If the email Subject and Message sections are left blank, the store will use the its default Distributor email template found in Settings ->Design ->Emails
The order emails will be sent to the distributor only when the order includes products that belong to this specific distributor.
The next step in the process is to assign the individual products that are shipped by your distributor.
Assigning Products to the Distributor
After setting up the distributor’s list you need to assign the products that belong to each distributor.
- Login to your 3dcart Online Store Manager.
- Using the left hand navigation, go to Products and view (or search for) the product that you’d like to edit
- Look to the far right of the product listing and click on its “Action ->Edit” button
- Select a distributor from the “Distributor” drop-down list
- Click “Save”
Your product will now be tied to the distributor and drop shipping will correspond accordingly.