The Authorize.net Customer Information Manager (CIM) feature allows you to store credit card information for your customers. Essentially, once a customer purchases on your site using their credit card, they will be able to return to the store and reuse the credit card without having to enter in the information again. Please note, you must use Authorize.net as your payment gateway to process your credit cards online to use this feature. Additionally, the CIM feature is an add on to the standard Authorize.net service, and you must have the CIM module to use this feature. Please contact Authorize.net if you are not sure if your account has the CIM module.
Authorize.net has 2 pieces of information that are used to authenticate your website with your authorize.net account.
- API Login
- Transaction Key
In order to get your API login and transaction key:
- Login to your authorize.net account
- Click “ACCOUNT” on the top right.
- Scroll down and click API login and Transaction Key If it is your first time clicking here, you will be prompted to create a new set.
After retrieving/creating your API login and Transaction Keys, you will need to add them to your 3dcart store’s Authorize.Net payment module.
Log into your 3dCart Online Store Manager and use the left hand navigation menu to:
- Go to Settings ->Payment
- Then, click on the “Select Payment” button
If you have not yet added Authorize.Net to your store, proceed with the following steps. Otherwise, if you have already added the payment module, proceed to step 6
- Look to the top right of the page and click the “+Add New” button
- Choose Authorize.net in the Payment Method dropdown.
- Click +Add to add the module
While adding the payment module, you may also set your location and cart parameters such as the country, state, order amount minimum and maximums, as well as the customer groups the payment option will apply to.
- Locate the added Authorize.net payment module and click on its “Settings” link
- Enter the API Login into the API Login ID field.
- Click the “Change” link next to the Transaction Key to type in the Transaction Key.
- Check the Enable Authorize.net Customer Information Manager (CIM) checkbox.
- Click “Save” at the top right to commit your changes.
How the CIM Works
Customers must have an account on your website to be able to store credit card information. They can create their account from the “My Account‟ tab on the website, or will be prompted to do so during checkout by entering an email address and password. The CIM will save the credit card number, expiration date, and billing address in Authorize.net.
After the customer completes an order for the first time on the website, they will have a choice to use the same credit card in future orders.
Change Card on File
If the customer would like to change or edit the card on file with their account:
- The customer will login to the ‘My Account’ tab on your website.
- They will click on the View Details link in the My Saved Credit Cards section.
- From this section, they can modify the billing address information for the card. If they would like to change the card number or expiration date, they can click on the Edit Card link.
- The system will automatically check if the card information is valid. If it is not, an error message will display and will not save the incorrect card information.